Forums

You are here: Forums > The Entrance Hall > Members Message Board << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Big News - 2 more Obernewtyn books - "The Sending" and "The Red Queen"
Go to page     

>>  

Moderators: Elspeth, Min, ElspethInnle, Agyllian
Author Post
Wed Dec 15 2010, 09:43PM

Mystic Guildmistress
Guild: Mystics
[ Earthtemple Guardian ]
We have just received some very big news from Isobelle and Penguin, which is explained in this letter from Isobelle herself:

My dear readers,

I am writing to tell you that The Sending will now come out as two books, The Sending and The Red Queen.

The reason for this is that the complete book at draft stage was very long and it would have needed many cuts just to be bound up! More importantly, my editor felt one thread in the story, which I had shaved very thin in order to keep down the pages, was not satisfying being merely implied in the manuscript. This had been my gut feeling, but I had comforted myself with the thought that I could flesh out the particular thread in a novel featuring one of the other characters, some other time. However my editor felt it simply would not do! The only solution was to finish all of the important threads in this series, by the last book in the series. There was also one other section she felt needed more rather than less. Which meant writing more!

So I was faced with a quandary. To finish the story satisfyingly was going to take much more writing and editing - and time.

To make it two books did not seem such a huge leap because the US and UK were always going do the final tale in two books and knowing this, I had written to that cut.

I know some people who read my books will be very upset by this news because they were expecting the end in one book, but I honestly don’t know what else I could have done that would not have upset somebody. The decisions I have made with this series have always been made because I have felt it is best for the story and I can only be grateful that as ever Penguin has backed my decision one hundred percent. I hope you will, too.

The good news is that the next book, which will be called The Sending, is able to come out sooner than it would have done with any other solution, and though The Red Queen will not come out in the same year, this gives me more time to add what needs adding to the final book. The Sending will be published in September 2011.

So, once you have got over the news, I hope you will not be too disappointed to find there is more rather than less, and will take comfort in the knowledge that the last book is written in full draft and will come out sooner rather than later. The masked ball I am planning to celebrate the final book will coincide with the release of the last book, so there will be more time for me to organize that and more time for anyone saving up to come from afar, to do so.

Warm good wishes
Isobelle Carmody

*Squees*

Exciting!
Website
This post has been thanked 5 times
Wed Dec 15 2010, 10:01PM

Dreamweaver Ward
Guild: Dreamweavers
[ Dreamscape Artist ]
Ohmygosh, how exciting! *squees* I will never ever be sad about Isobelle extending a series - more books means more story, and it means we get the next book sooner! *dances*
Wed Dec 15 2010, 10:05PM

Wanderer Ward
Guild: Wanderers
[ Mage ]
*squees like a crazy woman*

Oh gosh! This is such exciting news, two new books, one of them for next year, and even more fun when the next/last is released!
Wed Dec 15 2010, 10:07PM
[ Guildmember ]
Yay!! Not only do we now get the next book a bit sooner, but there is still another one waiting. This means that we get the next installment but still have time for more theories and speculating before it actually finishes. The only downside is that it is likely to push back the release date for Darkbane but oh well.
Wed Dec 15 2010, 10:08PM

Wanderer Guilden
[ Moonwatcher ]
Location: re-un-disrupting the post-pre-opp-antigalactic time-rush with Pop Rocks
oooh! *squee* definitely liking this decision
Website
Wed Dec 15 2010, 10:11PM
[ Guildmember ]
This is a good decision. I'm glad her editor is being so forceful about keeping stuff, usually editors are all 'no, you must CUT CUT CUT'.
Wed Dec 15 2010, 10:12PM
cateyes
[ Earthtemple Guardian ]
Woot!! The next one's coming out around my birthday! And even though it's a longer wait, I'm glad the story will be finished properly, it'll be so much more satisfying.

Heh, I would find it funny if America split them in halves again though It'd so be the kind of thing they'd do
Wed Dec 15 2010, 10:41PM
[ Twentyfamilies Gypsy ]
asdfghjkl EXCITEMENT *squeeeeeee*
Website
Wed Dec 15 2010, 10:44PM
Guild: Ashlings
[ Guildmember ]
Wow! This is fantastic news! That being said, September is a DREADFUL time for me to be coming back to Australia, as it is when the new academic year (and the final year of my PhD) begins. Oh well, I know there are some fantastic Ober fans in the UK with whom to celebrate!
Website
Wed Dec 15 2010, 10:53PM

Ashlings' guildleader
[ Expedition Leader ]
WOW great news.... like Ashta, I'm very glad the editor is of the opposite nature most seem to be.
Wed Dec 15 2010, 11:23PM
[ Dreamscape Artist ]
*squee* As everybody else has said, more OberChron can only be a good thing. And, of course, Isobelle knows her story better than anyone else can, even her dedicated fans; if she feels this is in the best interests of the series, I have no doubt she's right. As a reader, I appreciate the fact that she and her publishers refuse to compromise the story Isobelle wants to tell, even if that does mean a slightly longer wait..

Also: new book! Yay!
Wed Dec 15 2010, 11:36PM
[ Gypsy ]
Well....

am I the only one who isnt getting too excited just yet?
Yes I want the book to be done right, so in that respect I'm happy to wait. But please stop telling me it will be out on this date and then dragging it further out. Tell me when its in the shop ready to buy !

crossing my fingers
M
Thu Dec 16 2010, 01:03AM
[ Guildmember ]
Location: Hiding in every book store, ever, just casually waiting for Red Queen
i hate it. now not only do we have to wait EVEN longer, but i can't afford to pay for two books. And we don't get more story, she's just cut it in half... I'm really upset by this. my heart is broken.
Should never have gotten my hopes up </3
Bam
Thu Dec 16 2010, 01:22AM

Dreamweavers' Guilden
[ Rebel ]
Marley, she is writing more story, because she didn't want to cut the book in half, which would have meant there would have been less story. So we are actually getting more then there would have been if she had only released one story

I am so excited by this!!!! Ok, so longer wait, but if it means we get more of a story, then I am all for it!!!!

CAN NOT WAIT!!!! SQUEEE!!!!!
Thu Dec 16 2010, 01:43AM
[ Gypsy ]
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insigni
But what are they doing with the covers? I was going to buy the American version, as it would match the rest of my set. But whick cover has to go? I think it'll be one of the Sending ones, but they are both so pretty.... I am thrilled and heartbroken, more book, and more wait. I can't stand it any longer! 8-|
M
Thu Dec 16 2010, 02:13AM
[ Guildmember ]
Location: Hiding in every book store, ever, just casually waiting for Red Queen
Am i really the only one opposed to this?
i hate this idea so much that i think that after over a year and a half i really don't want to come back..
I don't want two books. i just wanna get to the happy ending. but now im sure that i won't touch my various IC books again.
Thu Dec 16 2010, 02:35AM
cateyes
[ Earthtemple Guardian ]
Well, Marley, there's not a lot you can do about it, sorry to say! But yes, personally I'd much prefer to have a longer wait if I can get more story and a better novel at the end of it. I didn't like The Stone Key as much as the others, because it felt like there were threads that were not explored, things that should have had more book time and didn't. So if splitting the book in to two is what it takes to get a better book, then I'm all for it!

And I feel sorry for Isobelle, when I saw her talk last year she was saying that a lot of people are constantly harassing her about when The Sending was going to come out. I mean yes, we're attached to the characters and we'd like to see how it ended, but Isobelle, like everyone else, has a life! And no one deserves random people coming up and yelling at her, which she said had happened (Of course not by any lovely obernet members! )

But if you really just want the happy ending I can go write a one page fanfiction for you ;P (I'm kidding )
Thu Dec 16 2010, 02:43AM

Wanderer Guilden
[ Moonwatcher ]
Location: re-un-disrupting the post-pre-opp-antigalactic time-rush with Pop Rocks
Marley, there are some members that have been waiting since the first books publication to read the final of the Obernewtyn Chronicles. i think that that's around 1983 without looking it up.
i just don't understand your reaction, that's all. it's more Obernewtyn, how are you unhappy? if someone told you that you had won a million dollars with no strings attached, would you refuse it simply because it was too much?
Website
Thu Dec 16 2010, 02:47AM
cateyes
[ Earthtemple Guardian ]

Helena wrote...

if someone told you that you had won a million dollars with no strings attached, would you refuse it simply because it was too much?

I feel this sentence needs to end with "and it was not a scam"

Also, to be fair to Marley, it is a little bit different. I can understand being annoyed with the wait, as a society we are all pretty impatient! If we weren't we wouldn't have invented things like credit cards! ;P
Thu Dec 16 2010, 02:51AM
[ Gypsy ]
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insigni
A very valid point there.... I sure am not the patient type myself Marley, so you can feel you aren't alone in the disappointment of a later date. But there is no way I'd let this stop me reading obernewtyn.
Thu Dec 16 2010, 02:57AM

Wanderer Guilden
[ Moonwatcher ]
Cat Eyes wrote...
I feel this sentence needs to end with "and it was not a scam"

lol yes, and that
Website
Thu Dec 16 2010, 03:08AM
[ Guildmember ]
Location: right here on the ocean floor (what more is you looking for?)
Ooh, we have excitement news! Hmm... I do understand where you're coming from marley, what with the whole longer wait and all, and I myself am not a big fan of the split books... but right now I'm just glad that Isobelle has gotten the time she needed to get the story perfect. *claps hands in excitement* 9 months to go!!!
Thu Dec 16 2010, 03:45AM

Dreamweaver Guilden
[ Dreamscape Artist ]
This is very exciting. I got so caught up in spreading the news I forgot to actually post here. Honestly the begining of next year was looking less and less likely seeing as we still hadn't had an official announcement. I'm glad to be getting more book and this way we get some more in September next year rather than whenever the whole thing's finished. Thanks Isobelle for the news!
Thu Dec 16 2010, 03:56AM
[ Gypsy ]
Yay! Another two books! I'm quite excited that it is extended to two books More reading for me - I have other books to keep me occupied while I wait lol
Thu Dec 16 2010, 03:58AM

Ashlings' guildleader
[ Mage ]
I'm really really happy! More story = happier me! Besides, I was going to end up buying a UK edition/pair eventually anyway to find out what the changes were so now I don't have to! I just hope it doesn't come out during my holidays
Go to page     

>>  

Jump:     Back to top